Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Durkheim assignment and a suggested video clip

Hi. I am the TA. I just finished reading all the Durkheim papers, and I appreciate your effort. However, I need to point out something. When you write paragraphs, please make sure that you understand what you are writing about; i.e., please make sure that your grammar is correct and the logical reasoning is appropriate. Generally, it is not a good idea to rely on the grader to figure out what you are writing about. To write clear paragraphs, I recommend that you write paragraphs well before the deadline. Then, you read it again before you turn in your assignment. Or, for the proof-read, you should visit the writing center on campus and ask them to check your paragraphs. Don't try to do the assignment the day before the due date and turn them in without reading them again.

By the way, the following video clip may be useful for understanding Durkheim's Suicide: Click here.
Go to the "English" section click "Video Full Version." This is the confession of a former :Kamikaze" pilot. You get an idea of what a suicide bomber was thinking about.

3 comments:

MT said...

Robert is right about planning early to give yourself time to proofread.
I thought a couple of these were good. Keep it simple~ and clear!

Tragic Pig said...

I know it may not be related, but watching this video clip and being very interested in Asian history, made me think of the conflict between China and Japan. If anyone else is interested on this type of stuff, I recommend the documentary film The Rape of Nanking. (warning: I watched it with my dad and he had to leave the room because it was too emotional for him)

MT said...

oh my goodness. thx for that recommendation, Tragic Pig. Say hi to "Pop" for us all. :)