Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Oppressive or Meaningful????

Even though , both Marx and Durkheim lived secular lives, Still They defined God from different points of views. While Marx defined God as a tool of oppression; Durkheim presented God as a meaning giver to a society's existance. I think that dependant upon perspectives, both theorists have acceptable views: Marx looks at God from a socioeconomical perspective, while Durkheim looks at God from psychosocial perspective. I think that God has different meanings for different people- I assume that Weber would agree with me on this.

3 comments:

spirit said...

What would the new spiritualists say? Neither that god is a tool of oppression nor a meaning giver. God is ... being-ness, awareness, God is NOW, indefinable, inside-outside-all-everwhere-and-in-between.
Change "God" to "organized religion" and you might get led to either Marx or Durkheim.

buddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mswar said...

I remember reading a book once spirituality and the author gave this beautiful metaphor. He stated that God is the ocean and we are the drops that create the ocean. I This is so Durkheim!