Monday, June 16, 2008

We spend 90% of our time trying to be different.

When some one at school confuses me with another girl, my answer to them is, "I am unique there is no one like me." My religon taught me that people outside of my religion are worldly, therefore, we are different. I belonged to the "special group of people who will live for ever in paradise. I was different than the rest of the world." Weber explains that religion has taught their followers a status of distiction which is guarantee by conventions and laws, but specially by "religious sanctions." I don't know what he means by sanctions but I think that religion should be hold accountable for many cathastrophic political decisions that have devastated countries, that have created genosides, that have murder women and children simply because the opposite side has diffent color eyes, skin tone, different opinions, different religion!!. I seems that I am contradicting my self when I say "different religion" (is it a back fire?) But, I think that it proves that religion should be blame for making me believe that I was different than you.

5 comments:

sky said...

Blame?
Cause?
Not sure that religion could be "blamed" - how would one do that? i.e., where "is" religion? In institutions? In heads?
Do you mean blind belief caused wars -- and so the way to peace is education and exchange to break down fears?

MT said...

Marx: religion as a ruse, a falsity, a camouflage
Durkheim: religion as an awakening of community
Weber: religious beliefs as capable of shaping economic behavior into profound change.

aShLeY said...

I AGREE WITH YOU. RELIGION HAS PLAYED MANY ROLES IN CHANGING OUR HISTORY. WE ARE CAUGHT IN HISTORY AND OUR PAST. WHAT WE WERE BEFORE SHAPES US TODAY. RELIGION HAS DEFINETLY SHAPES WHO WE WERE AND HOW WE ARE AS A SOCIETY

sky said...

yeah - we're always taught from the past how to relate to the future

juju623 said...

I am not really sure that religion could be blamed. I actually agree with you that religion has played many roles in our past and our history. It is true that what we were before shapes us today. But, that is back then. Now, we have to look forward in our life and our own children. I think that as being a parents for the children, I think that parents should be a world model for their children. It is because children are always look up to their parents on all things they do and act. For me, I think everyone is different. I never had met anyone that are the same.